Safety and Security
OSU and Housing and Residential Life have the same goal of providing you with a safe living environment. We take that responsibility very seriously, and we are always looking for new and better ways to provide that safety and security for you.
You can also read more about safety and security measures in our:
- The number one cause of fire alarms within the residence halls is for cooking.
- Be sure to stay with your food while you cook it, even if you are cooking in a microwave.
- Pay attention to the timer: are you sure you entered 3:00 minutes and not 30:00 minutes?
- Be sure that your microwave, stove, or oven is clean and free of food debris. This can easily catch fire.
- Follow all cooking instructions provided on food containers/cartons.
- When taking a shower, please be sure to turn on the exhaust fan in your bathroom. This helps disperse the stream.
- If you live in an apartment with a range hood, be sure to operate it while you are cooking to take away the steam.
- Please use caution when using a hair dryer, curling iron, hair straightener, or other similar grooming appliance. They can get too hot, steam, and set off the alarms.
- Other items such as humidifiers, coffee pots, tea pots, can also expel steam that can set off an alarm.
Aerosols and Vaping
- We want everyone and their living space to smell good, but please spray away from the smoke detectors! Aerosols such as air fresheners or Febreeze, and aroma therapy products should be used in moderation.
- Body sprays, perfumes, and deodorants can all set off an alarm if the mist is in the direct path of the alarm.
- Hair care products such as hair sprays should also be used in moderation and away from smoke detectors.
- Vaping is not permitted on the OSU Campus. The use of any tobacco product including e-cigarettes, flavored vapors, smokeless tobacco, is strictly prohibited.
Exiting the Building
- Anytime a fire alarm goes off, please do not assume that it is a false alarm. Exit the building as quickly and as safely as possible.
- Once out of the building, please move away from the building and provide a safe distance between you and the facility.
- Do not renter the building until you receive the all clear from OSUPD, Stillwater Fire, or Residential Life Hall Staff.
For more information about campus safety: