Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see below the frequently asked questions, specific to Family and Graduate Student Housing.


There are many childcare options for children in Stillwater. Some businesses provide rates based on income. You should feel free to go to the center any time to observe the level of care your child is receiving.

·         Big Brothers Big Sisters

·         Oak Tree Children’s Academy

·         Child Development Lab

·         Presbyterian Preschool

·         Early Head Start

·         Renaissance School

·         Kids Under Construction

·         YMCA

Child Safety

It is important to provide children with a safe and healthy environment. In Oklahoma, anyone who believes a child is being abused or neglected is legally responsible for reporting it. Reports can be made any time of the day or night as the hotline is available 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week by calling 1-800-522-3511. Further questions about abuse and neglect can be directed to the  Oklahoma Department of Human Services (405) 707-3700.
  • What is Child Abuse?

    Child abuse is harm to a child by the person that is responsible for the child. This includes threats to harm and failure to prevent harm. Child abuse is not limited to physical, sexual and emotional abuse.

    • An example of physical abuse: Mariam had just changed 18-month-old dirty diaper when he had another messy diaper; this made Mariam angry. She thought that putting him in hot water will punish him for the dirty diaper. When she put him in the tub, he cried loudly. Mariam slapped him to stop the crying and didn't notice the scald marks until after the bath was over.

    • An example of sexual abuse: Nine-year-old Lee's mother works at night. Her stepfather is around when she goes to bed, so many evenings he lies down beside June. As she goes to sleep, he rubs her chest and private areas.

    • An example of emotional abuse: Isaac is disappointed with his 11-year old son, “You're such a little coward,” he tells the crying child "It's the same every week. You always make your mother and me ashamed. Sometimes I can't believe you are really my son."

  • What is Child Neglect?

    Neglect is a failure to provide for a child’s basic needs. This includes but is not limited to not meeting a child’s needs for food, clothing, shelter or safety, leaving a child in an unsafe area, and not providing a child necessary medical attention.

    • An example of neglect: Joseph worked late nights in the lab, and the family needed more money. Amani looked for work, but the only job she could find required her to leave home at 9:30 pm. The children, ages two and six, were alone for a few hours until Joseph got home around midnight or 1:00 am.

    Here are the recommended guidelines for parents:

    • Infants and children under 6 years of age should never be left alone without adult supervision. Generally, grade school children who demonstrate the ability to be responsible and mature may be left alone one or two hours during the day with access to a responsible adult.

    • Grade school children should never be left to care for younger children.

    • Middle school children who demonstrate the ability to care for themselves without help may be left alone for up to four hours during the day and evening.

    • Middle school children may care for one or two younger children if there is constant access to a responsible adult.

  • What are the signs of Child Abuse and Neglect?

    The effects of child abuse and neglect can last a lifetime. They can affect how children grow, how they do in school, relationships etc.

    • Possible signs of abuse and neglect: Bruises, cuts, burns, broken bones, constant hunger or thirst, lack of interest, more knowledge about sex than is normal for the child’s age, sudden changes in behavior, etc. It is important to note that children do not always present the same behaviors or symptoms as a result of abuse or neglect. In addition, some of these behaviors and symptoms could occur due to reasons other than abuse and neglect. For more information about signs please refer to Recognizing Child Abuse and Neglect: Signs and Symptoms

  • What should I do if I feel like a child is being abused or neglected?

    According to Oklahoma law, everyone who has reason to believe that a child is a victim of abuse or neglect must report it. To report call the OKDHS Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-800-522-3511.  



When in need of nutrition and a free meal, here are places that can help:

Stillwater Public Schools Nutrition Assistance: Apply for Free/Reduced Price School Meal or phone Stillwater Public Schools Child, (405) 533-6445

Frist Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall: 524 S. Duncan, (405) 372 – 5580, Free community brunch Saturdays at 11:00 am – 12:00 pm

Love Feast: 2823 S. Husband, (405) 372 -5854, Free meal served Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 6:00pm

First United Methodist Church Family Life Center: 400 W. 7th Stillwater, (405) 372 – 5854, Free meal Thursday from 5:00pm – 6:30pm


  • Insurance plans options for students

    A student health insurance plan is available to eligible students attending OSU Stillwater campus. You may find further information through OSU Human Resources.

    In addition, the University Health Services Clinic on the OSU Stillwater campus is a network provider for several insurance plans.

  • Illness in the family

    There are multiple options available for seeking a doctor in Stillwater.

    • In case of an emergency call 9-1-1. This will connect you with - police, emergency medical and fire personnel, this number should only be used in emergency situations. In some areas around campus you will see brown columns with blue lights on the top of them, these are emergency phones. You can contact emergency personnel using those phones at times you do not have access to your phone. If you or the person who is sick are physically capable of going to see a doctor, you may go to the Stillwater Medical Center which is open 24/7. If you have a question about your health and aren’t sure if it’s emergency or not, please call the Stillwater Medical Center complimentary nurse advice line at (800) 707-0224.
    • If you are an OSU student you can get medical attention from University Health Services, available from 8.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday. 
    • As you seek out a doctor for your child it is important to consider the type of care needed, your health insurance coverage and any other preferences. Contact the clinic or doctors office by phone to see whether they are accepting new clients. Also ask them whether they accept the type of health insurance coverage you may have. This website provides a physician directory showing the specialties of the different doctors affiliated with Stillwater Medical Center. A number of pediatricians are housed in the Stillwater Medical Physicians Clinic at 1815 W. 6th Ave, Stillwater, (405) 743-7300
    • There are some urgent care centers in Stillwater. These centers are especially useful in the evenings, weekends or on holidays when doctor’s offices are closed. As with other providers it is important for you to consider your health insurance coverage. 
    • AMC Urgent Care
    • Acess Medical Center


To protect people, children and parents from violence and bad treatment of a person, Stillwater has different agencies to help with traumatic situations.


  • Resources
    • 24 Hour Crisis Hotline (405) 624 – 3020
    • Child Safety, The Saville Center, 1523 W. 9th Ave, (405) 377 - 5670 
    • Domestic Violence, 801 S. Main St. Stillwater, (405) 372 - 0198
    • Stillwater Police, 701 S Lewis St, Stillwater
    • Wings of Hope Crisis Center, 3899 N. Washington Ave, Stillwater, (405) 372 -9922
  • Social Services 

    Help and support people by being able to provide assistance with things such as food, clothing, and health: Find a Service 

    • Oklahoma Department of Human Services: DHS can help with many services from food assistance, child protection, disabilities, parent and adult aid as well
      711 E Krayler Ave, Stillwater, (405) 707-3700 or (405) 744-5975
    • Psychological Services: Psychological services aids in helping people gain support and skills to deal with everyday life, as well as bad situations. They help to reduce stress, better interact with other people, and understand what a person’s feelings about different things
    • OSU Psych Services Center118 N. Murray Hall, (405) 744-5975, Hours: 8am – 5pm
    • OSU Marriage and Family Therapy101 Human Sciences West, (405) 744-5058
    • Payne County Counseling Services, 801 S. Main St. (405) 372 - 0198

Living in FGSH

  • What’s the procedure of checking-in?

    You will receive an email from the Department of Housing and Residential Life about allocated check-in date. You must visit the FRC on, or after the specified date and collect your door key. You must be the primary resident, provide valid identification in order to obtain your door key. With your first door key you will receive a Check-In/Check-Out Inspection form to report the existing damages of the apartment, this must be completed and returned to the FRC Front Desk within 7 working days.

  • What’s the procedure of checking-out?

    Once you have completed the Notice to vacate form , you must schedule a check out inspection with the FRC. Please review the FGSH Move-out checklist for more information.

  • What is Summer Storage?

    Summer Storage is a service provided to FGSH residents that allows residents to pay a reduced monthly rental rate from June 1 through August 14 of each year, if a resident plans to be gone for at least six consecutive weeks during the summer. An individual must be the Primary of an apartment as of April 1 each year in order to put an apartment in Summer Storage. Further, if the Primary has not been a resident in the apartment since the first day of classes in January of the Spring Semester, he/she will not be allowed to put the apartment into Summer Storage that summer. What should I do if I want to install or remove some furniture in my apartment? You can call Residential Life Facilities Office, (405) 744-8510 to get furniture installed or get the installed furniture removed:

  • What should I do if I want to transfer the ownership from secondary to primary?

    For any Primary lessee changes, the current Primary lessee and Secondary lessee must meet together with the designated FRC staff member at the FRC to make an appointment. For primary changes between spouses, no meeting with the FGSH Housing Coordinator is necessary.

  • What should I do if I get locked out from my apartment?

    If you are locked out of your apartment, you must go to the FRC front desk for assistance. The staff at the desk will issue you a spare key to your apartment. You MUST be prepared to verify your identification. You must return the spare key within 24 hours’ time. If the key is not returned within 24 hours, it will be assumed that the original key has been lost. The Primary will be charged with a door lock change ($48 per door) on their bursar account. Residents are not permitted to lend or give their apartment key(s) to anyone nor are they permitted to use the apartment key(s) of another student. To control inventory of the keys, duplication of University keys is prohibited.

  • What should I do if I have a maintenance issue with my unit?

    If at any time a student has a maintenance issue with a room, bathroom, or common areas such as the breezeway, please call the Housing and Residential Life, Facilities Management Office (405) 744-8510, if the issue is emergency and occurs after office hours or on weekend/holiday. You also can contact your Apartment Assistant for help or any other questions you may have. 

  • How can I have access to FRC laundry and FRC computer lab?

    If you live in Family & Graduate Student Housing, you can get access to FRC laundry and computer lab by visiting the FRC Front Desk. The University is not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items. Please report any machine issues to the FRC Front Desk.

  • How can I obtain a parking permit for my vehicle?

    Any motor vehicle parked on University property between the hours of 5:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, an valid OSU paid parking permit must be displayed. A parking permit can be purchased through the Department of Parking and Transporation Services.

  • How can I obtain a parking permit for my bicycle?

    Parking and Transportation Services requires the registration of any bicycle on campus used for transportation. The service is free and beneficial for your own protection in case of theft. Bicycle racks are located at convenient locations around Housing and Residential Life grounds.

  • Can my spouse use the facilities offered by the FRC?

    You can optain a Pistol Pete Card for your spouse by visiting the FRC Front Desk, this will allow access to the laundry facility and other facilities offered by the FRC such as, borrow DVDs, sewing machines and books.

  • What should I do in a situation of extreme weather conditions?

    You are responsible for finding shelter in the event of a tornado or severe weather. Visit 

    Campus Safety for more information about what you can do in the event of a tornado. Severe Weather Refuge Locations

  • How can I borrow the grills available in my neighborhood?

    You can reserve the grills by visiting the FRC front desk with your Student ID, please make your reservation at the FRC.

  • What should I do in case of a fire in my apartment or other apartment?

    You can call 9-1-1 immediately for assistant, after that please call your Apartment Assistant.

  • Can I turn off the fire alarm if it goes on while I’m cooking inside my apartment?

    The fire alarms are fixed inside your apartment to protect you and your family in case of a fire. Please do not cover it or remove the battery of the fire alarm at any situation. In violation of this rule, the primary will be charged $500 in to his/her bursar account.

  • What should I do if I find cockroaches or mouse in my apartment?

    Call Housing and Residential Life, Facilities Management Office (405) 744-8510 for pest control. You can avoid spreading cockroaches by cleaning the house often, by keeping the food containers sealed and removing the trash on a daily basis.

  • Can I have a pet in my apartment?

    You are not allowed to have pets in any Housing & Residential Life, please review the official Pet Policy. However, service animals are welcome on Housing & Residential Life grounds. All necessary paperwork, evaluation, and authorization from Student Disability Services must be completed prior to the animal’s arrival in the residence halls. Unapproved pets are not allowed in any Housing & Residential Life facility due to concerns for health, safety, sanitation, noise, and humane treatment. Violation of this rule will cause you a penalty of $200.

  • What appliances are prohibited in keeping in the apartment?

    Open fire or open-coil cooking appliances, such as, electric griddles, and George Foreman Grills. Prohibited items, such as portable heaters, air conditioners, large amplifiers, wireless routers, and halogen lamps.

  • Can I keep candles & Incense sticks in my unit?

    Burning candles and incense, as well as kerosene lamps and other flammable liquid fueled devices, are prohibited in all University owned housing.

  • What should I do if my neighbor is too noisy?

    Courtesy Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We encourage you to talk to your neighbor about the noise concern. If the problem is not solved, you should call your Apartment Assistant for help.

  • How can I contribute to the efforts OSU is making to create a better environment?

    In a combined effort with OSU, Housing and Residential Life supports sustainable efforts to reduce waste, recycle materials, and reuse resources. Recycle bins in lounges and at reception desks accept paper, cardboard, rinsed plastic containers, tin and aluminum cans that are generated in those common areas. Take recyclables generated in your personal space to a blue single stream recycle dumpster downstairs.

  • If I do not have a vehicle on my own, what are the options do I have to shop for groceries?
    FRC provides free Shopping Shuttle for all residents in FGSH.
Back To Top