Termination of Contract
The University reserves the right to manage housing occupancy in order to maximize space utilization; further, the University may take such action as necessary to control the use of spaces in the event of an epidemic, disaster, or other circumstances that appear to require such control.
Contract Termination Prior to the Beginning of Occupancy
- Cancellations received by Housing and Residential Life on or before May 1 for the following term (January 5th for a spring-only contract) will receive a full credit of the $150 deposit.
- Any contract entered into after May 1 for the following term (January 5th for a spring-only term) will receive a full credit of the $150 deposit if said contract is canceled within five (5) days of paying the application fee. If not canceled within five (5) days of paying the fee, then no refund will be made.
- Cancellations received by Housing and Residential Life after July 15 (January 10th
for spring-only contracts) will result in a late cancellation charge of $250 in addition
to the forfeiture of the deposit.
- Student contracts for housing on February 5th for the following fall term. Student cancels contract on April 27th. Student will receive a refund of the deposit.
- Student contracts for housing on February 5th for the following fall term. Student cancels contract on July 23rd. Student will forfeit the deposit and will be charged a $250 late cancel fee.
- Student contracts for housing on July 30 for the following fall term. Student cancels contract on August 2nd. Student will receive a $150 refund of the deposit.
- Housing Renewal - There is no fee for choosing a housing assignment during the spring renewal process. However, all renewal cancellations will be subject to a $75 cancellation fee. A $250 late cancellation fee will also be assessed if said contract is canceled after July 15th.
- Housing and Residential Life reserves the right to cancel a contract if the student fails to select a room prior to August 1st or if reasonable accommodations are offered to but rejected by the student. In such cases, there will be no refund of the initial application fee.
Contract Termination On or After Beginning of Occupancy will be subject to the following charges:
- A prorated charge based on the daily rate and the number of days the resident retained the keys.
- A charge equal to two month’s rent will be assessed based on the rent for the residence resided in by the student for the majority of the contract term. Residents that vacate due to policy violations will also be assessed this charge.
- Forfeiture of any deposit paid.
- Residents who cancel due to withdrawal from the University will forfeit any deposit.
- Contracts terminated in less than three months following the date of occupancy will be assessed an additional 25% of the prorated rent charge.
Furniture Accommodation Fee
If an FGSH apartment has been furnished or unfurnished to specifically accommodate a person’s request and he/she chooses not to move in, the person will be assessed a $100 furniture accommodation fee.
The University/Housing and Residential Life may terminate the housing contract if rent or other charges due are not paid in a timely manner; a resident does not comply with the University or Housing and Residential Life Policies and Procedures; a resident is not enrolled as a student at OSU and/or employed by the University; or in rare cases, the housing area is to be converted to another use. In such cases, Housing and Residential Life will provide a minimum of 72 hours’ notice.