Preparations for Move-Out Inspection
It is important that residents understand the need to thoroughly clean and return all furniture to the original setup in their room/suite/apartment prior to turning in keys and vacating the unit.
To avoid incurring cleaning and/or damage charges, you are encouraged to use the following checklist:
- Remove all personal items from the room/suite/apartment.
- Remove all food and clothing items from cabinets, drawers, closets, and appliances.
- Remove all trash from the room/suite/apartment, balcony, porch, etc. and discard in the nearest dumpster.
- Wipe the inside of closets, dressers, cabinets, desks, etc.
- Return furniture to the original layout by un-lofting beds, unstacking furniture, putting furniture together (i.e. closet doors on closet, mattress on bed frame, placing furniture in appropriate room or common space, etc.)
- Clean window blinds and window sills.
- Remove dust/cobwebs from walls and ceilings and wash walls where necessary.
- Dust light fixtures and ceiling fans.
- Clean wood trim around windows, doors and floors, including corners.
- Vacuum all carpets, sweep and mop all hard surface floors, including corners.
- Clean air-conditioning unit, wall vents, ceiling fans, wall and floor vents.
- Thoroughly clean all appliances inside and out. There should be no dirt, grime, grease, or sticky- feel when properly cleaned.
- Remove dirt, grime and soap scum from all bathroom fixtures (toilet, sink, tub/shower, medicine cabinet) and kitchen sin
The charges assessed for damaged and/or unclean rooms/suites/apartments are expensive. So, be sure to take care of your assigned unit and make sure that it is thoroughly cleaned before checking with your CM and turning in your keys. Once you have turned in your keys, you will not be permitted back into the room/ suite/apartment. If you do not remove personal belongings, Residential Life Facilities may pack and store them for your collection (retained for 30 days, property abandonment), and/or dispose of them at the resident’s expense.