Room Entry & Search
OSU recognizes and respects residents’ desire for privacy and will make efforts to ensure and protect residents’ privacy rights. However, OSU reserves the right to enter any part of the University premises, with or without notice, at any time for reasonable institutional purposes.
Such purposes include, but are not limited to, the following:
- To provide cleaning and/or pest control.
- To conduct an inventory of University property.
- To silence unattended loud alarms, stereos, radios, phones or other noise-producing devices.
- To address emergency situations.
- To search for missing University property.
- To provide maintenance and/or repair work.
- To determine compliance with all relevant health and safety regulations. At least each semester, Housing and Residential Life staff will inspect rooms for health and safety concerns. When possible, notification of the inspections will be posted at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the inspection.
- In the event there is reason to believe that the premises are being used for an illegal purpose or a purpose that violates health or safety regulations or interferes with normal University operations.
Law enforcement officials may enter, search and seize evidence in accordance with applicable law.