Skip to main content

Residential life

Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

FAQs for Local Services


Stillwater offers several childcare options, with some rates based on income. You should feel free to visit childcare centers to observe the level of care you child is receiving.


·         Big Brothers Big Sisters of OK

·         Oak Tree Children’s Academy

·         OSU Child Development Lab

·         Presbyterian Preschool

·         Stillwater Early Head Start

·         Renaissance Schools


·         YMCA Stillwater

Child Safety

It is important to provide children with a safe and healthy environment. In Oklahoma, anyone who believes a child is being abused or neglected is legally responsible for reporting it. People may report issues 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 800-522-3511. For more information, call the Oklahoma Department of Human Services at 405-707-3700.
  • What is child abuse?

    Child abuse is harm to a child by the person who is responsible for the child. This includes threats to harm and failure to prevent harm. Child abuse is not limited to physical, sexual and emotional abuse.

    • An example of physical abuse: Mariam had just changed an 18-month-old dirty diaper when he had another messy diaper; this made Mariam angry. She thought that putting him in hot water will punish him for the dirty diaper. When she put him in the tub, he cried loudly. Mariam slapped him to stop the crying and didn't notice the scald marks until after the bath was over.

    • An example of sexual abuse: Nine-year-old Lee's mother works at night. Her stepfather is around when she goes to bed, so many evenings he lies down beside June. As she goes to sleep, he rubs her chest and private areas.

    • An example of emotional abuse: Isaac is disappointed with his 11-year-old son, “You're such a little coward,” he tells the crying child "It's the same every week. You always make your mother and me ashamed. Sometimes I can't believe you are really my son."

  • What is child neglect?

    Neglect is a failure to provide for a child’s basic needs. This includes but is not limited to not meeting a child’s needs for food, clothing, shelter or safety, leaving a child in an unsafe area, and not providing a child with necessary medical attention.

    • An example of neglect: Joseph worked late nights in the lab, and the family needed more money. Amani looked for work, but the only job she could find required her to leave home at 9:30 p.m. The children, ages two and six, were alone for a few hours until Joseph got home around midnight or 1 a.m.

    Recommended guidelines for parents:

    • Infants and children under six years of age should never be left alone without adult supervision. Generally, grade school children who demonstrate the ability to be responsible and mature may be left alone for one or two hours during the day with access to a responsible adult.

    • Grade school children should never be left to care for younger children.

    • Middle school children who demonstrate the ability to care for themselves without help may be left alone for up to four hours during the day and evening.

    • Middle school children may care for one or two younger children if there is constant access to a responsible adult.

  • What are the signs of child abuse and neglect?

    The effects of child abuse and neglect can last a lifetime. They can affect how children grow, how they do in school, relationships and so forth.

    • Possible signs of abuse and neglect: Bruises, cuts, burns, broken bones, constant hunger or thirst, lack of interest, more knowledge about sex than is normal for the child’s age, sudden changes in behavior, etc. It is important to note that children do not always present the same behaviors or symptoms as a result of abuse or neglect. In addition, some of these behaviors and symptoms could occur due to reasons other than abuse and neglect. For more information about signs, refer to Recognizing Child Abuse and Neglect: Signs and Symptoms

  • What should I do if I feel like a child is being abused or neglected?

    According to Oklahoma law, everyone who has reason to believe that a child is a victim of abuse or neglect must report it. To report issues, call the OKDHS Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 800-522-3511.  



  • When in need of nutrition and a free meal, here are places that can help:
    • Stillwater Public Schools. Nutrition assistance, call (405)533-6445.
    • Community Action, 410 S. Lewis, Stillwater, OK, 405-624-2533
    • Church of Christ Food Bank, 821 N. Duck, 405-372-7439
    • Southern Heights Methodist Church/Love Feast, 2823 S. Husband, Stillwater, OK, 405-372-3280. Thursdays at 5 p.m.
    • Department of Human Services, 711 E. Krayler, Stillwater, OK 405-707-3700
    • Payne County Health Department, WIC, 1321 W. 7th St., Stillwater, OK 405-372-8200
    • Salvation Army, 1101 S. Lowry, Stillwater, OK, 405-372-1554
    • First Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall: 524 S. Duncan, (405) 372 – 5580, Free community brunch Saturdays from 11 a.m. to noon.
    • First United Methodist Church Family Life Center, 400 W. 7th, 405-372-5854. Free meal Thursday from 5 to 6:30 p.m.
    • Harvest II, P.O. Box 561, Stillwater, OK 74076, 405-377-7637
    • Neighborhood Ministry, P.O. Box 280, Perkins, OK 74059, 405-547-2481
    • Our Daily Bread. Our Daily Bread Mobile Market at the Family Resource Center (every third Wednesday of the month)
    • Pete’s Pantry 
    • Student Stache Network Pantry at Family Resource Center.  


  • Insurance plans options for students

    A student health insurance plan is available to eligible students attending OSU Stillwater campus. You may find further information through OSU Human Resources.

    In addition, the University Health Services Clinic on the OSU Stillwater campus is a network provider for several insurance plans.

  • Illness in the family

    There are multiple options available for seeking a doctor in Stillwater.

    • In case of an emergency call 9-1-1. This will connect you with - police, emergency medical and fire personnel, this number should only be used in emergencies.  If you or the person who is sick is physically capable of going to see a doctor, you may go to the Stillwater Medical Center which is open 24/7. If you have a question about your health and aren’t sure if it’s emergency or not, please call the Stillwater Medical Center complimentary nurse advice line at (800) 707-0224.
    • If you are an OSU student you can get medical attention from University Health Services, available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m Mondays through Fridays. 
    • As you seek out a doctor for your child it is important to consider the type of care needed, your health insurance coverage and any other preferences. Contact the clinic or doctors office by phone to see whether they are accepting new clients. Also ask them whether they accept the type of health insurance coverage you may have. This website provides a physician directory showing the specialties of the different doctors affiliated with Stillwater Medical Center. A number of pediatricians are housed in the Stillwater Medical Physicians Clinic at 1815 W. 6th Ave, Stillwater, (405) 743-7300
    • There are some urgent care centers in Stillwater, which are useful evenings, weekends or holidays when doctor’s offices are closed. As with other providers it is important for you to consider your health insurance coverage. 
    • AMC Urgent Care
    • Access Medical Center


To protect people, children and parents from violence and bad treatment of a person, Stillwater has different agencies to help with traumatic situations.


  • Resources
    • 24 Hour Crisis Hotline (405)624–3020
    • Child Safety, The Saville Center, 1523 W. 9th Ave, (405)377-5670 
    • Domestic Violence, 801 S. Main St. Stillwater, (405)372-0198
    • Stillwater Police, 701 S Lewis St, Stillwater
    • Wings of Hope Crisis Center, 3899 N. Washington Ave, Stillwater, (405)372-9922
  • Social Services 

    Help and support people by being able to assist with  food, clothing and health.

    • Oklahoma Department of Human Services: DHS can help with many services from food assistance, child protection, disabilities, parent and adult aid as well
      711 E Krayler Ave, Stillwater, (405) 707-3700 or (405) 744-5975
    • Psychological Services: Psychological services help people gain support and skills to deal with everyday life, as well as bad situations. They help to reduce stress, better interact with other people, and understand a person’s feelings about different things
    • OSU Psych Services Center118 N. Murray Hall, (405) 744-5975, Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    • OSU Marriage and Family Therapy101 Human Sciences West, (405) 744-5058
    • Payne County Counseling Services, 801 S. Main St. (405) 372-0198
    • Grand Mental Health
Back To Top